Here’s the latest we have on the church shooting in Texas:
- 26 people – including four kids from the same family – have been killed in today’s shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, according to law enforcement who spoke at an early-evening press conference. Those killed ranged in age from 5 to 72 years old.
- 20 people were wounded, many in critical condition.
- 23 were found dead inside the church, 2 outside, and one died later at the hospital.
- Various news organizations report the suspected gunman is 26-year-old Devin Patrick Kelley from New Braunfels, Texas. CBS News reports Kelley was court-martialed in 2014 receiving a dishonorable discharge from the US Air Force.
- Kelley reportedly used a Ruger AR assault-type rifle in the initial shooting outside the church and then inside.
- Authorities said Kelley, dressed in all black with tactical gear, began the shooting spree outside the church. He then walked inside and continued shooting.
- A local citizen engaged gunfire with the shooter, after which Kelley reportedly fled the scene and was found some 10 miles away, dead in his vehicle. It is not known if he died of injuries he sustained in the shootout or if he shot himself.
- Authorities found multiple weapons in the suspected gunman’s vehicle.
- First Baptist Church Pastor Frank Pomeroy told ABC News his 14-year-old daughter is among the dead. The pastor and his wife were out of town when the shooting occurred.
- The shooting is the deadliest mass shooting in the state’s history.