A tapeworm was removed from a Florida man’s eye after he reportedly ate undercooked pork. The man nearly lost his vision nearly lost his vision after he contracted a brain-eating parasitic tapeworm that traveled to his eye.
Sam Cordero believes that his Christmas ham was the cause of the parasite. Taenia solium, better known as a pork tapeworm, which can be passed to humans through consumption of raw pork or contact with fecal matter. The doctor was able to remove the parasite from his eye, revealing a 3 mm tapeworm that was fertilized with thousands of eggs.
The tapeworm will typically attach to the small intestine. However, in rare cases, the worm can travel into the bloodstream and embed itself in the brain or eyeball.