0 Shares

A Spanish woman died after undergoing an acupuncture treatment that uses live bee stings instead of needles.

The 55-year-old had undergone apitherapy which is an alternative style of medicine involving honeybees and/or the substances they produce. It is given once a month for two years to treat stress and muscle tightness. Immediately after receiving a live bee sting in one session, the woman’s breathing became labored and she suddenly lost consciousness.

It took 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive when emergency medical personnel administered a double dose of adrenalin¬†and antihistamines. The patient’s heart rate stabilized en route to the hospital. Several weeks later, the woman died of multiple organ failure. According to a journal report, the patient suffered a “massive watershed stroke and permanent coma” due to persistent hypotension stemming from her severe anaphylactic episode.

Doctors conclude that live bee sting treatments are “both unsafe and unadvisable.”¬†Repeated exposure to bee venom may lead to greater risk of a severe allergic reaction.

Source: Woman dies after undergoing ‘bee acupuncture’ treatment famously touted by Gwyneth Paltrow – SFGate

Thank you to our sponsors: (Best Amazon Deals, January Gray, Movie Awards Plus, CentralOhioUFOReportingCenter, Bill). To become a sponsor for as little as $3 a month, click here.

Loading...
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
0 Shares

Leave a Reply